In the urban slum communities we work with children often go hungry. We help in the following ways;
- Teaching people urban agriculture – how to grow organic food in their backyards in containers
- Showing people how to cook vegetables and preserve nutrients
- Teaching people how to sell surplus produce at market
- Teachin people how to fatten small livestock such as goats and chickens to sell at market
- Setting up community grain banks – buying grain at harvest when prices are lowest and selling to the community at below market price throughout the year
- Running community dairies – providing milk to the poorest in any quantity at a low price
- In areas affected by the changing climate teaching communities how to adapt and grow new crop varieties
You can help
£10 a month will provide a family with goats for fattening as well as training, feed and veterinary support.
£300 will provide support and training to a women’s urban agriculture self-help group so women can set up a small farming business and feed their children.